Thursday, January 21, 2010

Listening to audio books ...

I am thinking about skipping the introduction and going straight to post the audio books I am fond of. Partly I can’t wait. Partly I am not good at giving an introduction. On second thought, it might be helpful to share a thing or two of my own experiences with you below.

Like many Chinese students studying in China (not abroad), I really had hard times to put my ideas into English words and to get them across to others, and felt hopelessly that English was far and away, beyond my grasp. My frustration and disappointment had been written all over my face and spotted by someone at the English Gathering on our campus, and he said, "Why don't you go to the library to pick up an audio book? It may help." and I did. Those casual words turned out to be one of many pieces of the best advice I have ever had. The great performers brought the characters and scenes from the books to life vividly. As time has gone by, their voices have taken me to wonderlands, fairylands and neverlands while I was walking in the woods, doing workout at the gym, driving to work, etc. A few names sprang to mind,

Great Expectations read by Martin Jarvis,
Jane Eyre read by Juliet Stevenson,
Atonement read by Carole Boyd,
When We Were Orphans read by John Lee.

While astronaut Armstrong was stepping on the surface of the moon, he said: "That's a small step for man, a giant leap for mankind." Looking back the moment I was stretching out my hands to grab my first audio book from the shelf, as if it happened yesterday not years ago, a kind of wonderful sensation is sweeping through me and I'm hearing my own voices, resonating and lingering: "That's a small step for me, a giant leap for my English."

"Why don't you give it a try?" Indeed, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment